Do I need a permit to hire a skip?
When planning any project that requires skip hire, it's essential to consider whether a skip permit is needed. Skip permits, also known as skip licences, are necessary whenever a skip is placed on any part of the highway, including pavements, verges, or the side of the road. At Taylors Skip Hire, we understand the importance of complying with local regulations to ensure a smooth and legal skip hire process. Here's a guide to help you determine if you need a skip permit:
1. Location Matters:
- If you plan to place the skip entirely within your property boundaries, such as a driveway or private land, you generally do not need a skip permit. These areas are considered private property, and permits are not required. However, if you intend to place the skip on a public highway or any part of the road that is accessible to the public, a skip permit is mandatory. This includes placing skips on pavements or verges. You should contact your council or local authority for the necessary permits.
2. Delivery Areas:
- At Taylors Skip Hire, we provide skip hire services in towns such as Horley, Crawley, Dorking, Caterham, Redhill, Reigate, and more. You will need to contact either Surrey or Sussex County Council for your permit.
3. Private Gated Roads:
- Skip permits are not required for private gated roads with no public right of way. Since these roads are not accessible to the general public, the skip can be placed without obtaining a permit.
4. Public Right of Way:
- On private roads where the public has a right of way, a skip permit will be required. This ensures that the skip does not obstruct access or pose safety hazards for pedestrians and other road users.
5. Responsibilities of Skip Operators:
- As a responsible skip hire company, Taylors Skip Hire advises you to obtain skip permits when required. It is your responsibility to ensure compliance with regulations and to facilitate smooth skip placement.
If you are unsure about skip permit requirements for your location, don't hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable team. Contact us today to book your skip and let us handle the skip permit process on your behalf, making your waste management journey stress-free and efficient.
Please note that A Taylors Skip Hire Ltd and its representatives take no liability for any fines or losses you may suffer due to a failure to get the correct permits.